Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Why Dear Evan Hansen Is Not A Funeral Show

Today I almost exploded (figuratively).

I was in graduation chorus and we were picking out which song to sing. Two of the songs on the list were from Dear Evan Hansen. When one person listened to them she said,

"This is so sad. It's like a funeral song."
Image result for very angry person clipart
Well let me tell you now, LIFE IS SAD! Life is full of disappointment and sorrow and worry and anxiety and war and conflict and hardship.

That is why people love Dear Evan Hansen so much. They love it because it's real. The actors display real problems faced and conquered by real people in the world.

Would you like to know how I escape these feelings? Through this song! Through this musical! These songs get me up in the morning! Literally! I finally get out of bed the second I hear these songs!

You Will Be Found is a song about how even people who aren't able to pick themselves back up when they are pushed down by society will be lifted up by their peers. If that sounds like a funeral, then there is probably something wrong with one's ears. (Unintentional rhyme!)

Dear Evan Hansen gives me hope. When I am faced with nerves and anxiety, Evan Hansen inspires me to keep going. Even the actor is inspiring. Ben Platt went to the same summer camp that I do. He gives me the hope that one day, I can succeed and get to do what I love as long as I work as hard as I can, and persevere.

So, why don't you listen to the songs again? This time, really listen and maybe you won't think of funerals whenever you hear a song that appeals to your emotions.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think you should be pointing fingers at someone for something this small, especially on something public. It's a good argument but maybe take it to the person directly next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was not meant to be mean or criticize this person. It was only meant to help the world understand Dear Evan Hansen and the message it sends. I'm sorry if you or somebody else is offended, but I am only using this blog post to give my explanation in an environment where I feel safe.

      Delete
    2. That's completely understandable and I by no means meant for my comment to be rude. I just feel that the last part was a little bit unnecessary for this post if you were trying to express your feelings. It'd be better to just tell the person face-to-face to not cause anything.

      Delete
  2. I love,love,love that music and lyrics move people in vastly different ways. Thank you for sharing how this song helps you deal with anxiety. So many of the songs from Dear Evan Hansen are anthems for how all of us are searching for a place to be heard and to belong. I hope that blogs and face-to-face conversations can be a place for people to share their points of view so that people can move to shared understanding.

    ReplyDelete